COOL SUN

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Epidemic encephalitis taking tolls in UP

Encephalitis is a disease which has reached an epidemic levels in north eastern part of India. Not only India it has also impacted neighbouring countries like Nepal. Death Toll till now more than 150.
Myself being in Bangalore was not aware of this development as the newspapers were not covering this as a front page event. But sadly enough, as usual again the poors are bearing the burnt of this disease. I came to know about this disease when I called my sister. She is a doctor and doing her Post grad in Gorakhpur which is majorly impacted by this disease. She told me that she had been put on emergency duty and had not slept for last three nights. I tried to motivate her and ask her to do as much as she can for the kids who are suffering.
She also told me a bit about the disease:
1. This is spread by mosquitoes and kids between 5 to 15 years are most prone to the disease
2. Its a kind of Brain fever and cannot be cured by root cause but they can just symptomatically, which means if a kid is suffering from this virus, then they cannot kill the virus but just try to cure the symptoms which kid is showing.
3. Mortality rate is approx 30%. So 3 out of 10 patients will die of this disease.
4. It can be prevented by vaccines, but it seems vaccines are produced in Indonesia which may not be very effective on Indian version of disease.

So I did some more research on net. I found that this disease is a regular phenomenon in Eastern part of India for last twenty years. Thousands have lost their lives in those years. But the sad part is Government only reacts when people start suffering in the disease season. This is the case every year. This year also my sister was saying that lots of funds have come from govt once this disease reached an epidemic levels.
I hope this time government will learn something and do something to prevent this disease next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home